After witnessing the renowned Leadville 100 MTB race yesterday, I couldn’t help but notice the staggering amount of nutrition athletes consumed, evidenced by the littered gel wrappers across the feed zones.
However, a deeper dive revealed that the true value lies in the cost per gram of carbohydrates.
Surprisingly, some of our top-tier products, which might seem pricier upfront, offer the best value. For example, you might only need one of these nutrient-dense gels an hour, compared to two from other options, leading to both savings and better fueling.
I’ve ranked it all by cost per carbohydrate:
Best Value Gels
1. SiS Beta Fuel Gels - $0.063 per gram
2. SiS Go Isotonic Gels - $0.086 per gram
3. Enervit: C2:1PRO Carbo Gel - $0.088 per gram
4. Powerbar Powergel Hydro - $0.092 per gram
5. Spring Awesomesauce - $0.093 per gram
Best Value High-Carb Hydration
1. Enervit Iso Carb - $0.33 per gram
2. SiS Beta Fuel Drink - $0.041 per gram
3. Maurten Drink 320 - $0.044 per gram
4. Neversecond C90 Drink Mix - $0.053 per gram
5. Skratch Superfuel - $0.065 per gram
Best Value Chews
1. Powerbar Chews - $0.06 per gram
2. SiS Beta Fuel Chews - $0.07 per gram
3. Precision Fuel Chews - $0.08 per gram
4. Xact Fruit Bar - $0.10 per gram
5. Skratch Energy Chews - $0.13 per gram
The products that surprised me the most on this list were Spring Energy Gel (which is amazing) and always seems expensive, but it is such a great value. A new product here is the Xact Fruit Bar, if you haven’t tried it I recommend it. It’s chews made from fruit pulp that you will love.
Enjoy the savings!