Maurten Drink Mix (160 & 320)
What we think
This new Gel 100 Caf 100 will deliver 25g of carbs, 100mg of Caffeine, and also have 22mg of Sodium for added electrolytes per serving. It contains the same Hydrogel Technology as their other products that will enable you to consume up to 90-100g of carbs per hour without stomach distress.
There are only 6 ingredients: Water, Glucose, Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, Gluconic Acid, and Sodium Alginate. That's it! No artificial flavors, color or additives like other gels, that are more like sugary syrup.
Maurten Gel 100 is one of the most innovative gels on the market. It's unlike all others in that its consistency more closely resembles that of gel (like Jello), rather than sugary syrup, and it does not require water to be consumed with it. This gel, like the drink mix, doesn't have a flavor it is just slightly sweet, so it's easy to get down without feeling overwhelmed by a sweet flavor.
Caffeine is the most popular (and legal) performance booster that is used across almost all sports. Caffeine can increase the strength of muscle contractions, lower perceived effort, and ward off mental and physical fatigue to name just a few of its benefits.
What's cool about Maurten's new Gel.
Caffeine is notorious for its bitter taste, so most companies have to use too little caffeine (25mg) to be effective or they have to add artificial flavors and acids to hide the bitterness. But, added artificial flavors won't help you go faster.
Maurten has spent over 2 years developing their new caffeinated gel and using their Hydrogel Technology they have been able to encapsulate both the caffeine and carbohydrates so you get a true GEL with low bitterness, low sweetness, and an effective level of carbs and caffeine to boost energy and endurance.
Does Caffeine make me go faster?
Yes. In the majority of scientific studies, caffeine has been shown to increase athletic performance. Caffeine is a well known ergogenic aid or legal performance enhancer. Some studies have shown increases in VO2Max, but more recent research has shown it has a greater impact on reducing fatigue and performance decline and maintaining mental acuity.
How much Caffeine do I need?
The answer depends on how many espressos you have each morning! Habitual caffeine users will need more caffeine to get the same effects, but 100mg of Caffeine should be enough for regular users, and is still an appropriate dose for non-habitual caffeine users. The scientific studies range from 200mg of caffeine to 600mg of caffeine per workout. A general rule of thumb is that 1 mg to 1.5mg per pound of body weight is an effective dose.
How long does Caffeine last?
Caffeine is rapidly absorbed and is in your bloodstream within 5 to 15 minutes of ingestion. It peaks between 45 minutes to 90 minutes after consumption. It reaches its half-life between 3 to 6 hours after consumption.
How to use it in your training/racing
For the best performance combination, you want to alternate between Maurten's caffeinated and regular gels. Here is how to do it:
For training/races under 1 hour:
- 15-30 minutes before the start: Use 1x Maurten Caffeinated Gel
- +30 minutes from start: into your training/race: Use 1x Maurten Regular Gel
For training/races under 2 hours
- +20 minutes from start: Use 1x Maurten Caffeinated Gel
- +60 minutes from start: Use 1x Maurten Caffeinated Gel
- +90 minutes from start: Use 1x Maurten Regular Gel
- Drink: Use 1 Bottle of Maurten Drink 160 per hour.
For training/races over 2 hours:
- Every 60 minutes alternate between a Maurten Caffeinated Gel and Maurten Regular Gel and Drink 1 bottle of Maurten 160 or 320 per hour.
- For events over 4+ hours, we recommend you start using Gels once you have completed 50% of your workout and start with the Caffeinated Gel.
- Drinks: Use 1 Bottle of Maurten 320 per hour or 2 Bottles of Maurten 160 per hour when you need more hydration, it's hot, or you have excessive sweating.
- We would suggest not to consume more than 3 Caffeinated Gels per Day.