What we think
Today marks a new day in what you will consider a "bar" to eat before or during your workout. Maurten is out with their first-ever bar, called SOLID, and it is changing the game for fueling.
Just don't call it a bar!
SOLID reinvents bars by removing everything but the essentials. The result is a performance-focused oat-and-rice-based chewable. It may look like a bar, feel like a bar, and taste like a bar — but it's definitely not a bar.
This is SOLID.
Maurten said one thing that struck me in explaining the creation of SOLID "The majority of "energy" bars are made to have snack-appeal. SOLID, on the other hand, is built for fueling performance. They are worlds apart — one is aimed at the top supermarket shelf, the other at the top of the podium."
The taste of SOLID is excellent and, like all Maurten products, is very easily digestible. There are two flavors, BASIC, which is well, a basic oat bar flavor that is pleasantly sweet but purposely plain tasting. The other is C, which stands for cocoa and offers a tasty alternative to mix things up.
I've tried both flavors, and both are good and what you want to eat during your workout. Both are easy to chew but not crumbly. I also found them very easy to swallow in the middle of strenuous efforts.
Here is the real secret. The bar has a whopping 44g of carbs and makes it perfect for the high-carb fueling strategies of today's performance athletes. With Athletes now pushing over 100g of carbs per hour, you can now replace 2 of those gels per hour with one Maurten Solid Bar.
Put another way. I predict that many athletes struggling to get to 80g of carbs per hour will find they are now easily able to get to 100g to 120g with practice by adding the Maurten SOLID to their fueling plan.
For example, in one hour, if you now consume:
- 1x Maurten Solid (44g)
- 1x Maurten CAF Gel (25g)
- 1x Bottle of Maurten Drink 160 (40g)
You are over 100g of carbs without even breaking a sweat, well, you better be sweating if you take in 100g of carbs per hour, just sayin'.
There are a few other ways to add Maurten SOLID to your routine:
- Use Maurten Solid the night before a big event. Easily digestible overnight, it will keep you full, but also make sure your glycogen stores are fully topped up pre-big workout or race.
- Use Maurten Solid as part of your post-workout refueling plan to curb hunger attacks and rebuild your glycogen stores quickly.
Back to the taste, SOLID offers an excellent level of sweetness. Don't think that Maurten just sugar-loaded SOLID to achieve this. The carbohydrates and sweetness come from various sources — sugar, oats, and rice.
Can you use it with Maurten's Gels and Drinks?
SOLID complements the Hydrogel used in Maurten's Drinks and Gels as a third way to fuel your high-carb strategy.
The best part about SOLID is that sometimes as an athlete, you want to put something, well, solid, in your stomach during long events to soak up those Gels.
So what's our take?
- The flavor profile is magnificent.
- Easy to eat while going hard in a workout, and we all enjoy the fact you can eat without the desire to drink water directly after
- Great pre-workout fuel when you want something "light" but robust enough for that 60-90 minute session
- Great post-ride or an overnight way to rebuild your glycogen stores.
- Perfect size and amount to feel like we were "satisfied" with the servings