The original percussion deep tissue massage device. It is a must-have in any serious athletes tool kit for muscle activation before training and muscle recovery after workout out.
Theragun is the original percussion massage device.
With their next generation products, the Prime, Elite, and PRO (plus Mini and Wave roller) you can choose the right device for your price point. We've been using Theragun for over three years in our training and love it.
What is percussive therapy?
Percussive therapy or percussive massage is a treatment invented by Theragun founder and chiropractor, Dr. Jason Wersland, to alleviate soft tissue pain, heal injury, speed recovery, enhance athletic performance and get an amazing night's sleep using a powerful massage gun
It’s not the same as vibration. With vibration, the frequency is really high or the product never comes off the body, so it makes the area numb and it becomes less effective. Sometimes it can become noxious to the nervous system.
In percussive therapy, your body never adjusts to the combination of the frequency and depth of force being used. Since the body never accommodates to it, it stays effective for pain relief the whole time. The amplitude and frequency have to be matched so the body recognizes the relief.
What is a massage gun?
Also known as a percussion massager, Theragun is the perfect device for deep tissue massage. It's an up and down motion, not a vibrating action that enhances circulation and helps break up light muscle fiber adhesions.
Theragun combines the depth (amplitude), the frequency (how fast it pulses) and the torque (the force of the pressure, so the device doesn't stall). The precise combination of these three factors has created the perfect formula for a deep massage the both activates muscles and aids in recovery and now it won't even wake the baby!
What are the benefits?
- Improved circulation in the veins and lymphatic system (i.e. go faster and recovery easier)
- Natural, effective pain relief... your body will buzz with bliss!
- Relaxes parasympathetic nervous system for better recovery and deep, satisfying sleep
- Breaks down internal scar tissue and adhesions
- Enhances flexibility and range of motion when used in combination with gentle stretching
- Helps speed healing of soft tissue injury
- Use pre-workout to get your fluids flowing and your muscles lubricated
- Use during training to zap and recharge burning muscles
- Use post-workout for the best recovery of your life
What makes Theragun different than HyperIce or Tim Tam Devices?
Theragun is considered the Gold Standard of percussive therapy. There are cheaper versions out there, but don't expect the same results.
Theragun, HyperIce's HyperVolt, and Tim Tam are some of the most popular devices. Theragun has three main benefits over the competition:
1. Amplitude is how deep the massage head push into your tissue. Theragun's proprietary 16 mm amplitude is 30% deeper than vibration therapy, providing more profound muscle relief and enhanced repair, decreasing pain and increasing range of motion.
2. Force. Theragun's new generation of devices applies much more force than the competition. The PRO’s industrial-grade motor is expressly designed to deliver up to 60 lbs of force; other products suffer from "stalling" when you push too hard. The Prime delivers 30lbs, and the Elite provides 40lbs of force.
3. Noise. The first generation Theragun devices and the Tim Tam device were noisy like a hardware store jigsaw. Theragun Gen3's were 50% quieter, but still kinda loud. Other companies sacrificed science for noise, but Theragun refused too. Since the motor they needed (strong but quiet) didn't existed, they invented it. One of the most exciting things about the latest generation Theragun is the use of QuietForce Technology which means your device is now quiet too. No more waking up the baby.
Because of its amplitude, Theragun is 70% better than the everyone else and now with QuietForce Tehcnology, you don't even have to sacrifice noise for science.
It was developed by a chiropractor and has been used by sports trainers in every major professional sport for the past 3+ years. Just watch an NBA or NFL game and you will see the trainers on the sidelines all using Theraguns with their athletes.
But they aren't just for professional athletes. Theragun's benefits are perfect for every level of athletes.
How do you use a Theragun?
A super cool feature included on all three next gen devices is blue tooth connectivity and 2.0 App which allows you to pull up the exact protocol you need (i.e. running, biceps or carpal tunnel) and walks you through the whole protocol for professional results. This has been a gamechanger for me as I've had a Theragun since the first generation and turns out I was using it wrong. Using my new device and the app, I'm doing my protocols perfectly and I can tell a major difference.
Before training you want to float the head of the Theragun over muscles you wish to activate pre-workout for approximately 30 seconds in one area, and then move on to the next area. Don't hold it static; keep it floating around. Be sure to keep it short (under 30 seconds each) so your muscles stay in activation mode.
For sore muscles and recovery benefits, you want to extend the 30 seconds to approximately 2 minutes over a muscle group area.
A little goes a long way, and more is not better with your Theragun. Don't use it for more than 15 minutes at a time, instead treat yourself to 2 to 3 sessions per day of 5 to 10 minutes.
How does Theragun relieve muscle tension?
Percussive therapy is a deep muscle treatment that uses rapid and long vertical strokes into the muscle tissues, causing a neuromuscular response.
How are Theragun's products different from each other?
1) Prime is the entry-level product, but don't let that fool you. It's still a beast and able to get the job done, putting out 30lbs of force, which is plenty of force for 90% of us. It comes with four attachments and 5-speed range that's customizable through the app.
2) Elite is the next level up the device with 40lbs of force. Out of all three 'big' guns, its the quietest one. It comes with five attachments, more advanced connectivity features, and wireless charging option. Most individual athletes getting everything they need with the Elite.
3) PRO is a true professionals product. Not only does it provide the most force (60 lbs) to get deep into the tissue, it has a rotating arm to eliminate hand and wrist tension. It comes with two swappable batteries and six attachments. It's great for teams and when you're sharing the device between multiple athletes. And for those of us that have to own the very, very best 😎
4) Mini out of all the new devices, I'm actually most excited about the new Theragun Mini. I've always been a little shy to whip out a Theragun at an event, bc they're pretty big and (use to be) loud and too bulky to just throw in a bag and go. The Theragun mini is palm-sized and super convenient to bring with me anywhere... traveling, training, the office. While it's not therapeutic grade 16mm force like the big guys, it's still perfect to get everything warmed up and loosen your tension.
Why buy a Theragun from The Feed and not Amazon?
You may know The Feed for sports nutrition, but did you know we're expanding our focus to everything that will make your next workout better? This includes all the top gear and devices used by the pros. We know premium gear can be expensive and we're here to make sure you get exactly what you need for the results you're after at competitive prices. We offer free sport nutrition (and gear) advice to help you get the most out of your sport.
What about the Theragun G1, Theragun G2pro, and G3 Pro?
These are the previous Theragun models that have been replaced by the Prime, Elite, and PRO devices. The fourth generations are seriously off the chain impressive with blue tooth connectivity and breakthrough quiet motors, but we do still have a few G3 Pro's available at 25% off until we run out.
What about Theragun Attachments.
These latest devices come with even more attachments than previous generations! The Prime has 4 attachments, the Elite has 5 attachments, and the PRO has 6 accessories (plus rotating arm)
What is our best Theragun tip?
Use it on the bottom of your feet. Especially on the slow speed. Your feet house more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments, and as many as 200,000 nerve endings per sole. The Theragun stimulates nerves, increases blood flow for instantly activated and energized feet. It's a magical feeling.
Your friends will drool with envy, your wife will fight you over it and your body will hum with bliss. Get yours now.