Here at The Feed, we have such a wide variety of gel options that there's sure to be something to meet all of your gel needs. We carry everything from the typical GU's to the more unique Muir Energy Gels. Read more to answer all of your gel related questions!
Why should I use gels?
Carbohydrates are the preferred source of fuel for working muscles. As muscle glycogen (carbohydrate stores) run out, you can experience bonking. Gels contain fast absorbing carbs that are easy to digest and keep energy stores topped off during exercise. This can help boost endurance performance and prevent bonking!
When should I use gels?
Save the gels for training sessions or competitions that are over an hour, when you're more likely to deplete your energy stores. Your glycogen stores will last for 2-3 hours, but it's a good idea to top them off after about an hour before they start running out.
How do I use gels?
It's a good idea to aim for around 60 grams of carbs per hour during endurance exercise, but you may be able to tolerate more or less depending on the person. Having one gel every 30-45 minutes is a great way to do this.
Do I have to drink water with gels?
Most gels are a thicker consistency, so you will need water to wash them down and also to ensure proper delivery of nutrients to your muscles. There are a few gels (Maurten, SiS, and PowerBar) that are formulated so that you don't have to wash them down with water. However, you will still need water and electrolytes for general hydration.
When should I use gels with caffeine?
Caffeine is a legal performance enhancer and can help ward off physical and mental fatigue during long events. Have one gel with caffeine every couple of hours during long rides or runs, especially during the second half. You can also have one gel with caffeine 15-30 minutes before a hard training session or race. It's best not to exceed 400-500mg of caffeine in a day, so you may need to spread them out accordingly.
Why do gels have so much sugar?
Sugar is an easy to digest, fast absorbing carbohydrate that can immediately be used by your muscles for fuel. Although it's a good idea to limit sugar throughout the day, it does serve a purpose during exercise and will be burned immediately for energy.
What are the consistency of the gels?
To help guide you through choosing a gel consistency, we have created a ranking system. We have assigned each gel a number on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being the least viscous (thinnest) and 10 being the most viscous (thickest). Here is a chart summarizing all of the gel rankings
|1 (thinnest)||PowerBar Hydro Gel|
|3||PowerBar Original Gel, SiS Energy Gel|
|9||Clif, Maurten (not a thick gel, more of a jello like texture*)|
|10 (thickest)||Muir Energy|
What are your most popular gels?
- Maurten Gel: these are our #1 seller. They are very different from the traditional gel consistency, and are more comparable to a jello. They have no flavor, just a slightly sweet taste, and contains Maurten's unique hydrogel technology to perfectly time delivery of nutrients without causing stomach upset.
- Gu Energy Gel: as one of the original gel brands, GU has a tried and true formula. They offer the largest selection of flavor options, and have a long list of loyal customers to back them up
- SiS Energy Gel: these gels have a thin consistency and super mild flavor profile, so are easy to get down while exercising. They were designed to allow you to take them without water, and reduce risk for stomach upset.
What are some of your more natural gel options?
- Huma Chia gels are made with real fruit puree and chia seeds
- Honey Stinger gels contain honey, natural flavors and 95% organic ingredients
- Muir Energy gels are made with real food ingredients like blackstrap molasses, almond butter, and fruit
- Untapped Maple just contain 100% pure Vermont maple syrup, that's it!
Why buy gels at The Feed?
We have the largest selection of gels on the market. You can try one of each flavor or brand of gel and have them shipped right to your door. Once you find what you like, you can order by the box or mix and match individual gel flavors and brands to meet your unique needs.