We've been eating Skratch Labs cookie mix for a few months now, because it is awesome. We don't want any confusion in the matter - these cookies are 100% Feed approved for consumption as dessert, during bike rides, runs, hikes, or anytime you want delicious baked goods.
You don't need the Skratch Labs cookie mix to make great cookies, but when you find a pre-packaged dry cookie mix that works well every time, it's super convenient. We've written about it before
, but we've found the Skratch mix to produce awesome cookies just by following the instructions on the box. Don't deviate from those instructions...just trust the experts at Skratch and you'll have great cookies after a few minutes.
In our previous blog post
we offered up a maple bacon chocolate chip cookie recipe, but this time we're switching it up and making Lemon Blueberry Cookie Bars. With summer fast approaching, peak blueberry season will be here soon. Clearly, super fresh blueberries are going to make these bars even better, so keep this recipe on hand for the summer!
Here's how you do it:
Lemon Blueberry Shortbread, makes 4-9 bars, depending on who's cutting the bars.
- One box Skratch Labs Cookie Mix
- 1 stick grass fed butter, unsalted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Life of Riley Unsweetened Almond Butter or any other high quality almond butter
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries (frozen berries must be thawed and drained completely). We used fresh berries and it paid off...they came through baking a whole berries!
- 2 teaspoons organic almond extract
- 1-2 teaspoons organic lemon oil, depending on how much you like lemon flavor!
Here they are - blueberries ready to go into the oven!
- 1 oven heated to 350 degrees
- 1 9 inch baking pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 spatula
- Add cookie mix, stick of butter and egg into a mixing bowl.
- Mix until the dough is formed completely into a ball. The mix should not be crumbly.
- Add almond butter, almond extract, and lemon oil. Mix in thoroughly.
- Add blueberries and fold in gently with spatula.
- Bake your cookie bars until golden brown, or around 22-30 minutes.
- Our bars came out super flaky and delicious after around 23 minutes, but they were a little bit dry and wanted to fall apart when we took them on a bike ride. Keep this in mind when packing them up for a ride.
- Lemon oil will take these bars to the next level. We love lemon-y stuff, so we added two teaspoons. If you don't love lemon-y stuff, start with one teaspoon and see how it goes. If you don't like lemon at all, substitute for 1/2-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
To check out all products from Skratch Labs, visit their brand page